Friday, October 28, 2011

Homemade Syrup

I can't do maple anymore.

This syrup is so, so, so delicious. I really don't think I can ever go back.

My very favorite syrup in the world is homemade buttermilk syrup. But since I never have buttermilk on hand (and I never see it on sale), I enjoy making this similar syrup instead. I always have the ingredients on hand, and it's so easy to whip up as I'm making pancakes or waffles for breakfast.

I pour all the extras in a glass bottle. I like my bottle because it has a lid and a spout. The syrup seems to keep in the fridge just fine for a week or two. I heat it in the microwave at 20 or 30 second intervals until warm and viscous. Then voila, delicious homemade syrup in seconds!

Homemade Syrup
1 stick real butter
1 c sugar
1 c milk
1 t vanilla

In a large pan, heat butter, sugar, and milk on medium high heat. Stir frequently once it comes to a boil. Boil until desired consistency. (The trick I use is to watch it boil up and then start to boil down. Just after it has started boiling down, I know it has thickened up a bit. I don't watch all that closely, though, and it seems to always work out one way or another.) Add vanilla. Remove from heat. Serve immediately or store in the fridge.

No comments: