Friday, October 28, 2011

Waffles

Ooh, I love these waffles! They are from an old family cookbook, and I only discovered them earlier this year. They taste so much more delicious than something from a box. I think the key is folding in the beaten egg whites. Anyway, try it for yourself, and tell me what you think!

My only regret when I make these waffles is that I only have one bowl for my Kitchenaid mixer. Since you have to beat the egg whites separately, you always end up needing two mixing bowls. It's not too big of a deal, but it would be nice to have two for the machine. When push comes to shove, I always choose to beat the whites with the mixer and the rest of the batter by hand.

And! When I make these for breakfast, the boys and I enjoy a hearty meal. Then I freeze the rest in three smaller separate portions for three future breakfasts. It's easy to fry a couple eggs and defrost the waffles for a yummy breakfast without the hard work!

Belgian Waffles
from Diane Priday
6 eggs, separated
1 t vanilla
6 T butter, melted
2 c milk
2 c flour
1 t salt

Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg yolks. Add vanilla and butter. Add milk. Combine flour and salt; gently stir in and then beat well. Fold egg whites into mixture. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and bake waffles as usual. Top with strawberries, whipped cream and homemade syrup

No comments: