Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bistro Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Green Salad


This chicken recipe comes from This Week For Dinner, a beautiful and amazing blog I discovered recently after having started Let Me Plan Dinner. I know I'm not up to the likes of Jane Maynard as a blogger and a cook, but maybe one day!

I'll be serving the chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and green salad.
Here is the recipe copied from Jane's blog:

Bistro Chicken
From Jen Schulte
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually do two, but the amount of sauce could handle probably 4-6 breasts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 14-oz can diced tomatoes (I get petite diced)
- Italian seasoning (or a few shakes of oregano, basil, parsley and garlic powder)
- 1 can Campbell’s French Onion soup
- Swiss cheese, sliced

I cut my chicken breasts into thirds and pound them thin before browning, but the recipe didn’t originally call for that. Brown the chicken breasts in a medium-high skillet in oil or butter. Remove and place in casserole dish.

Cook onions in skillet for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, french onion soup and cook together to reduce liquid for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken in the casserole dish, top with Swiss cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I like to serve with garlic mashed potatoes.

Addendum after comments have come in: the last few times I’ve made it I haven’t used the entire can of french onion soup. I put all the broth in, but I only put maybe half of the onions from the can in. for me, it’s the right balance. the first time I made it, though, I followed the recipe to a “t” and we still liked it, so feel free to modify or not according to your tastes!

No comments: