Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Great Idea for Kid-Friendly Week

Do you have a busy toddler?

Well I do.

He's a little on the small side (But who can blame him? Just look at his parents.). His doctor recommended I try to include 2-3 snacks each day in addition to the normal 3 meals. Well, trying to get a busy boy to sit in his high chair for 5 or 6 times a day is NOT realistic. So with the help of my mom, I came up with this good idea for getting him to eat healthy and filling snacks throughout the day.


I fill a small muffin tin with healthy snacks. I try to use a variety of foods, but I make sure they aren't messy (no bibs!) or choking hazards (no worries!). I try to put a fruit, vegetable, and some cheese in addition to all the crackers, granola bars, and cereals that my little boy loves.

I fill up a tray at an early snack time, and whenever he's done I put it back in the fridge. We get it out again later in the day, and he finishes it off. I can easily see if he's avoiding his fruits but chowing down on the cheese, and bringing it out again gives him another chance to try the healthier foods. He also knows to be careful with the tray so he doesn't spill. We had a few mishaps early on, but it's always easy to sweep up.

5 comments:

Alison said...

I love this idea! Thanks! :)

Shannon said...

Great idea! My 2 year old has been underweight since about 6 months and at 2 1/2 still only weighs in at 22 pounds. I swear I feed him! :) This is a good idea though for keeping snacks available.

Creative Stirrings said...

Great idea! We will definitely try this with our little little-ones!

Marissa said...

I wish my mom would do this for me.

Jenny said...

that is an awesome idea! I have an almost 3 year old who will hardly sit still to eat, I will have to try this! thanks :)

Hope your class at Maceys went well. how cool! how did you get set up for that? this awesome blog??