Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing, Good Bread


Nothing says summer to me quite like salads! I love making a good, hearty salad for dinner. If your family would prefer more protein, add some sliced cooked chicken to your salad.

I got this spinach salad recipe from my former neighbor, Vickie McMurray. I think it is divine! The combination of ingredients may sound a little intimidating, but I promise it is always a hit.


Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Dressing
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t dry mustard
1/4 c white vinegar
1/2 c oil
1 t poppy seeds
1/4 red onion, sliced very thin

Combine sugar, alt, mustard and vinegar in a blender. As blender is going, add oil until well blended. Transfer to a tupperware and add poppy seeds and onion. Let "marinate" for a few hours or overnight before serving. Shake well before serving.

Salad
1 bag baby spinach
8 oz Swiss cheese, grated
3/4 c rinsed cottage cheese
1/4 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (I'll use bacon bits from my pantry)
8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms (I'll be honest- I never put quite this many)

Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl. When ready to serve, toss salad and dressing. Do not add dressing too early or the spinach will wilt.

*To make this into a side salad to serve a crowd, double the dressing ingredients and use 2 bags of spinach.

No comments: