Friday, May 7, 2010

Food Storage Series Begins

I had a reader ask about my food storage.

Hmm, I thought.

I'm no food storage expert. In fact, I'm pretty embarrassed to post on it like I know what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to save on groceries while preparing for a rainy day, and I'm learning as I go.

But I do feel pretty strongly about it. I've heard friends say things like
"I always go way over budget during the month of the case lot sale..."
and other things like
"Whenever I run out of one of my pantry items, I just buy the cheapest (usually smallest) one I can find. My budget just can't handle buying the larger items, even if they're a better deal over time."
The whole point of learning how to shop the grocery sales is to stock up when items are their cheapest (using coupons if you can), so that you are continually shopping out of your own personal food storage "store." I'm able to fit plenty of fresh foods in my budget, as well as the occasional pantry item that does run out, because I generally have most ingredients on hand.

So come along for the ride. I'll post how I organize my food storage, pantry, fridge, and freezer. Keep in mind that I'm no expert, but I hope to be a friend with a few good ideas. If any of you lovely readers have great ideas, we would all love your comments!

No comments: