Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cajun Rice Dish, Carrots, Peas


This recipe comes from My Creative Stirrings. I have been looking for more ways to incorporate fish into our diet without costing a million dollars. I know canned tuna is a cheap option, but I don't prefer the taste. I was intrigued when I saw this recipe, and Ms. Creative Stirrings said she couldn't even taste the tuna! I can't wait to test it out.

I copied this recipe directly from the Creative Stirrings blog.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dried onions

2 cups chopped celery stalks
8 oz. frozen cut okra stir to coat (optional)
2 cans tuna, drained
1 teaspoon ginger (I didn't have any!)
1/4 teaspoon cloves
14.5 oz. chopped tomatoes
2 cups water

1/4 cup lime juice
5 cups cooked rice (or more for a milder flavor)

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large pot. Stir constantly on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the next 7 ingredients, mix, and then heat on medium for 30 minutes. Add the lime juice and rice and continue to cook for 5 additional minutes on medium low.

Serve with cooked peas and carrots.

This was a hit with my toddler and my husband. Since my man is originally from the south, he was SUPER excited to eat a little Cajun cooking for dinner. Unfortunately, I realized I'm not a huge fan of Cajun spices. I loved the celery, okra, tomatoes, and rice (what a cheap way to fill up! I think brown rice would have also been delicious.). I also thought the tuna was pretty well masked; you could easily replace it with shrimp or blackened halibut if you had the budget and preference for either one. I think I would have preferred this much more, however, if the spices stayed more in the garlic, onion, salt, pepper, chili powder range. Maybe I just don't like cloves?? I thought this was a great cheap and healthy meal, but Cajun spices are not best friends with my particular palate. A big thanks to Creative Stirrings (and her Other Half) for sharing a creative recipe that was unique and family friendly!

No comments: