Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shannon's Chicken Enchiladas, Green Salad, Corn


This chicken enchilada recipe is from Let Me Plan Dinner reader Shannon. She got the recipe from The Sister's Cafe. Thank you, Shannon, for sharing a favorite recipe!

I'll be serving these enchiladas with a green salad and corn.

I am so excited to try this recipe! I will be making a few minor adjustments to help fit our budget.
  • First, I will be using about half as much cheese, maybe less (I planned a couple other cheesy dishes this week and I don't want to go overboard).
  • I will be sticking with only 2 chicken breasts, and possibly throwing in a can of white beans to up the protein.
  • I will also use milk instead of cream.
Here is Shannon's recipe verbatim:

Honey Lime Enchiladas
Marinade:
1/4 c. honey
4-6 T. lime juice (depending on how tangy you like it)
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder

2-4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 (15 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
2 c. shredded Colby Jack (or whatever kind you have) cheese
1 c. heavy cream (I've used whole milk before too and it's fine)
8-10 flour tortillas

Mix up the marinade and toss with shredded chicken. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. I toss mine together in a gallon ziploc and let it sit in the fridge all day.

Pour about 1/2 c. enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Fill tortillas with chicken and a little cheese. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and any leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned and crispy on top.

*Oh my goodness, these are delicious! I was a doofus and forgot to mix the milk/cream into the enchilada sauce, but the dish was fabulous even without. The honey-lime mixture is so flavorful and balances well with the other flavors in the dish. I will add one word of warning, however; I would not suggest you taste the honey-lime-chicken mixture by itself. I was trying to gauge how much lime juice to add (I used 5 T.), but I can tell you that the marinade is so powerful by itself that you think you've already gone overboard. I was quite relieved to find the final dish was so well balanced and tasty-- not overpowering like I'd feared. I also really enjoyed my addition of Great Northern (white) beans to the filling. I think they helped keep all the flavors in check, and they provided us extra protein without using as much meat.

Anyway, thank you, Shannon. It was a hit!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hi! My sister reminded me of your blog and I was so happy for some new ideas. We tried this and we all loved it!

Rachelle said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I think it's a delicious recipe. I only wish I could take credit for it:)